Itala Latin Vulgate and LXX

General discussions (Registered users only)
Topics: KJB, Bible prophecy, Pentecostalism, etc.

Itala Latin Vulgate and LXX

Postby GRD » 24 Feb 2015, 04:46

I posed a question to a sermon that stated Jerome wrote the Latin Vulgate which is the first true latin translation.

I asked, "Was not the Itala Old latin 150ad the first Latin Vulgate?"

His reply:
"The difference is that the Jerome’s translation was the first that translated the OT from the Hebrew. The Previous Latin version OT was translated from the Septuagint which is a Greek translation of the OT scriptures. Jerome was one of the few people that know Greek, Hebrew and Latin. Additionally, the previous translations lacked scholarship and readability. Some of the words were just transliterated from Greek to Lain, so they were shunned by scholars at the time."

Question:
Was the Itala Latin Vulgate translated from the LXX; I thought that LXX was a later invention.
GRD
seasoned
seasoned

Re: Itala Latin Vulgate and LXX

Postby bibleprotector » 24 Feb 2015, 19:48

The LXX actually dates from 275 BC.

For no logical reason, many KJBOs have asserted that the LXX was invented by Origen.

The reality is that in the NT, the Holy Ghost ensured that the quotes of the OT were proper, but He was free to interpret His own Word. Thus, the NT is not following the LXX when it appears to differ from the OT, but rather, is a deliberate exposition being made in the NT inspiration.
Site Admin

Re: Itala Latin Vulgate and LXX

Postby GRD » 01 Mar 2015, 00:11

Various explanations for LXX and their differing editions; good thing all we have to believe is God's promises to forever preserve his inspired words.
Thanks
GRD
seasoned
seasoned

Return to General