Glistering and glittering

King James Bible information (Moderators only)

Glistering and glittering

Postby bibleprotector » 27 May 2014, 17:52

If we honestly and believingly take that words like "glistering" are exactly true, precise and correct in their place in the pure presentation of the King James Bible, and studied and examined properly, we would only respond with wonder at the very glory of the Word of God. That is why it can be said that the KJB contains "glistering truths". This means that the very words that are attacked, called archaic, inconsistent, un-uniform, wrong, etc., are actually (despite the apparent foolishness of it to the minds of some) the right ones.

Someone could say, but sometimes the word from 1611 is changed now. Sometimes "glistering" is changed to "glittering”, sometimes not. Is the King James Bible right in every place where it uses "glistering" or "glittering” today?

First, we must see that “glittering” means reflecting the light in a bright way, while “glistering” means appearing to shine or emanate with light from another source by internal means, such as by refraction or translucence.

GLITTERING

De 32:41 If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me.
Job 20:25 It is drawn, and cometh out of the body; yea, the glittering sword cometh out of his gall: terrors are upon him.
Job 39:23 The quiver rattleth against him, the glittering spear and the shield.
Eze 21:28 And thou, son of man, prophesy and say, Thus saith the Lord GOD concerning the Ammonites, and concerning their reproach; even say thou, The sword, the sword is drawn: for the slaughter it is furbished, to consume because of the glittering:
Na 3:3 The horseman lifteth up both the bright sword and the glittering spear: and there is a multitude of slain, and a great number of carcases; and there is none end of their corpses; they stumble upon their corpses:
Hab 3:11 The sun and moon stood still in their habitation: at the light of thine arrows they went, and at the shining of thy glittering spear.

GLISTERING

1Ch 29:2 Now I have prepared with all my might for the house of my God the gold for things to be made of gold, and the silver for things of silver, and the brass for things of brass, the iron for things of iron, and wood for things of wood; onyx stones, and stones to be set, glistering stones, and of divers colours, and all manner of precious stones, and marble stones in abundance.
Lu 9:29 And as he prayed, the fashion of his countenance was altered, and his raiment was white and glistering.

There is a difference between these words and their use. These are the primary example of “glistering truths”. Armour or weapons in the light may glitter, but the prismatic effect of precious stones and the glory of Christ caused his clothes to glister.
Site Admin

Return to King James Bible